Term 4 Week 6-7
Year 10 Global Issues part 1: Resources.
What you need to know
Understand the term ‘resource’ and identify the resources ( and their properties) necessary to maintain our current standard of living. Eg. ores, minerals, water
Describe uses of these resources
- Earth resources: Most of our resources come from the Earth eg. fossil fuels, metals and non-metals
- Mapping rocks: Geologists map the rocks inside the Earth
- Reading the Earth :Interpret geological history of rocks
- Mining: Describe how resources are mined
- New materials: New materials rely on new technology
- Energy: Energy conversions and uses
- Fuels: Fuels are burnt to provide us with energy
- The greenhouse effect Reasons and global warming
- Alternative energy sources Renewable and pollution free energy
- Nuclear energy: Energy from the nucleus of atoms
- Radioactivity is made of particles and energy
Global Issues Part 2: Energy Year 10 Global Issues part 2 Energy
Term 4 Week 8-9
Experiment: Building your own battery using vinegar, saltwater and pepsi cola.
- Saltwater Battery: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZfsWwrivec
- Vinegar Battery: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_P27iln1Qk
- fun battery: http://www.funsci.com/fun3_en/electro/electro.htm#2
Try to construct a pepsi cola battery. Write a report on your experiment: hypothesis, aim, materials, method, conclusion and discussion. Include the three types of variables and include a discussion on the accuracy of the experiment.
Try out these two activities from the link: http://www.ecokids.ca/PUB/games_activities/energy/index.cfm
- Activity 1 How energy efficient are you?
- Activity 2: Energy Quiz.
Global Issues – Climate Change
Climate Change Game
Try out these activities:
- Planet Protector:Your mission: reduce the amount of carbon dioxide being put into the atmosphere by things people do before the average temperature of the Earth warms up to 18°C. Click on the link below to start the game.http://www.ecokids.ca/PUB/eco_info/topics/climate/co2effect/index.cfm
- Case of warming planet: Solve the case for Mr and Mrs Cool. Click on the link below to start.Mr. and Mrs. Cool walked into the Rain-or-Shine detective agency. When they explained their case to the head of the agency, Sam “Swift” Fox, he knew right away that this was an Eco-File. Special Agents Reese Store and Paul Lucien were put on to the case.
- Try the quizes (all together 3 quizes) on climate change: Weather and Climate, The Causes of Climate Change and The Effect of Climate Change at the link:http://www.ecokids.ca/PUB/eco_info/topics/climate/quiz/quiz2.cfm