Syllabus for Year 7, please click on the website and scroll down to Science: http://www.australiancurriculum.edu.au/Year7
1. Science is: the study of the physical and natural world especially by using systematic observation and experiment.
website with links to Ms Powerpoint
Lab Equipment video (beaker, test tube, measuring cylinder, conical flask, evaporating dish, watch glass, crucible, tongs, test tube holder, test tube brush)
Lab equipment power point (only the names of the equipment and the uses of the equipment)
Lab Equipment Quiz (Identify equipment used for the jobs in the lab)
Safety in the Science Lab (powerpoint)
1) Crushing the can
Materials: Empty soda cans (search the recycling bin or start drinking!) Stove or hot plate Cooking tongs Gloves Bowl Cold water
Instruction and explanation for the experiment (video 1.41 mins)
2) Tea Bags Rocket
Instruction and explanation for the experiment (video 2.22 mins)
3) Colour changing milk from Spangler Science.
Materials: Milk (whole or 2%) Dinner plate Food coloring (red, yellow, green, blue) Dish-washing soap Cotton swabs
Instructions and explanatin for the experiment: (video 3.24 mins)
4) Magic Ink (video 2.30 mins)
5) Making slime (video 2.08 mins)
Other Cool experiment:
- Scientific Investigation
Feyman’ svideo on scientific investigation
[youtube_sc url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYPapE-3FRw width=450 rel=0 fs=1]
A scientific investigation:
- describes a problem that can be used as an hypothesis for testing
- collects data for investigation that can be used to draw conclusions
- is communicated to allow review through evidence.
Steps in scientific method: flow chart and more information from the buddy science website
Definitions of variables, dependent and independent variable, please refer definitions.
Writing a scientific report and summarising , refer to:
- Writing a scientific report: Resource sheet 1Scientific Report Scaffold
- Summaring:Resource sheet 4 Summarising
- Line graphs for scientiific investigaton when you have to draw the line of best fit: Line of Best Fit graph (interatctive graphing which allows you to plot points and try drawing the Line of Best Fit.)
- Line graphs for graphing scientific information such as temperature changes, etc (best fit straight line is not drawn or draw the line joining all the coordinates plotted.) :
Time line for famous experiment, click on links to wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_scientific_experiments#2nd_century_BC